Thursday, October 21, 2010

C'est La Vie

I'm discouraged.

All summer I had time to plan elaborate meals, to shop at all the farmers markets and specialty stores, and to cook elaborate, tasty meals.

Right now I'm lucky if I have enough time or energy to wash, spin dry, and fry an egg and some kale in a skillet.

Between prepping to teach, teaching, conferencing with students, going to committee meetings, volunteering, grading, writing, editing, and just plain getting by, my meals are suffering.

Let me clarify. I've been throwing together the good ole standby--Lentil soup--and roasting a chicken on Sunday that we use in tacos, wraps, sandwiches, salads, soups, pastas, etc., but I really want a day to slave over the stove. Seriously, it's fall, my favorite season. I should be braising meats, roasting veggies, and simmering sauces. I should be homemaking pie crusts and spending hours peeling and thinly slicing apples.

Or do I just think I should be doing those things because I'm a self-pronounced food writer and food lover?

I just feel as though I'm letting down my readers (and my husband) by not serving up goodies that are blog worthy. Really, do you want to read about the turkey burgers I made Monday night or the Chipotle burrito I scarfed down 7:30 after teaching and  before I walked the dog and started grading at  9 p.m.?

I want to promise better blog posts from here on out, but until winter break, it's just not possible.

What is possible, though, is a sharing of our go-to foods when we're in a hurry and don't have a lot of time to cook. Ground turkey tacos are one of our favs. But what I've really been loving lately are the quick pasta dishes we whip up by using the tomato sauce I made this summer and froze. And I've been loving the joy of autumn fresh apples, which have been lifesavers for snacks and side dishes.

What are your go-to dishes? What do you make when you have only 15 minutes and barely anything in the fridge? I need ideas!

Now back to grading...

2 comments:

  1. We ate ground turkey nachos twice this past weekend!

    Other go-to foods (because I rarely spend more than 30 minutes preparing anything): spinach/pear/walnut/gorgonzola salad, crock pot curry chicken, crock pot taco soup, pesto pasta, Pakistani kima. Most of those dishes can feed us for 2-3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i make pasta topped with a sauce made from: canned tuna in olive oil, onions, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, green olives, and fresh tomatoes. it is lovingly referred to as "impromptu yummy" in our house, and varies a bit every time i make it, but it's awesome.

    or i make ming tsai's variation of thai basil chicken (except i make it with ground turkey): wide rice noodles, ground turkey, fish sauce, lime juice, sambal, and a bit of brown sugar. yum!

    if you want either recipe, email me and i will happily share! and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete