Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Fall Evening Dinner--Outside


My new obsession: pork.

I want to know about all about it, and I want to eat it all the time.

My consistent obsession: Jamie Oliver.

After the stellar success of Jamie Oliver's pork shoulder recipe, I thought I would be able to trust him for some ground pork recipes. Of course, my English love didn't let me down.

Tonight we tried Jamie O's Green Chilli. Imagine the love child of a fresh, full-of-chilies chilli and the most amazing taco meat you've ever eaten. That's Jamie's recipe.

I didn't use all green peppers and chilis, which the recipe calls for, though. I need color, but everything else was spot on. I adored this recipe, yet I would make a few changes in the future. First, I would add WAY LESS water. He calls for 1/2 a cup. I would add a 1/4 and then see if it needs more. If so, I would add a tablespoon at a time. I had gotten my ground pork and ground venison (how I love when those Brits call it minced meat!) all dry, but when I added the 1/2 cup of water, it made the mixture wet again. Also, I would add one very hot chili pepper. We had some "medium hot" chili peppers, but those weren't hot enough for me. I needed more heat, which I think would have made the dish more edgy. Next time, I'm adding more heat--be it through the addition of jalapeno and chili powder.

The mint, lettuce, and lime make this dish, though, so be sure to dress the dish with those seemingly unneeded garnishes. Also, it's great with the tortilla, but I think nacho chips would as good or even better.

The best part of this meal was eating outside in the chilly evening with an ember-hot-fire in our outside fireplace roaring at our feet. I've been feeling under-the-weather today, but FD's fire
and Jamie's Green Chilli made me feel like a million bucks.

Leave it to my two favorite men to make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment