Friday, October 16, 2009

A Must-Have iPhone/iTouch App for Home Cooks


My dream has (almost) come true.

On my iPhone, not only can I watch Twilight as much as I want, but also I can now watch Jamie Oliver as much as I want.

Ah, the simple joys in life.

For $7.99, you too can download Jamie Oliver's 20 Minute Meals.

That seems pricey, doesn't it? I don't normally buy apps that aren't labeled as free. But this one is well worth the cash.

Not only does Jamie provide recipes, 50 of which are new--meaning, not found in his cookbooks or website--but also he has included an overview of each recipe, the shopping list for each recipe (which you can use to create your interactive grocery list, complete with being able to mark off the items in your cart), a photo step-by-step breakdown of the recipe (many of which include audio tips from Jamie), AND helpful hint videos on topics such as knife skills and pestle and mortar skills.

What's so fantastic about Jamie is, he isn't belittling or cocky in his how-to videos. He's just a dude who wants to help you enjoy cooking efficiently and intelligently. *Sigh*

I bought the app yesterday and already have next week's meals planned with my shopping list created! And I've watched almost every hour and half's worth of videos, which I found entertaining and informative. The app is simple, easy-to-use, and visually appealing.

Additionally, I get the impression from the app's description and Jamie's videos, too, that the app will be updated with new recipes and videos periodically. Cool?

Now, Michael Symon needs to create an app, and all my iPhone fantasies will be fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment