Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Perfect Sunday Morning Breakfast on a Rainy Day


When people tell me they don't eat breakfast, I feel sad for them.

Breakfast is wonderful. Granted most mornings I eat 1/4 cup of plain fat yogurt with a teaspoon of Ohio maple syrup and berries (when in season), but on the weekends, I enjoy a good hearty b-fast that involves more dirty dishes than a bowl and spoon.

My favorite lately is Jamie Oliver's (no surprise, is it really?) Eggy Breakfast Crumpets. I've been dying to make this dish, but I haven't been able to find crumpets. And now it's my fav dish because finally--FI-NAL-LYYYY--I found crumpets at the Anderson's in Maumee.

Perfectly sweet, salty, chewy, luscious, and crisp, this totally easy first meal of the day is fabulous when you want something to hold you over and give you a reason to eat a light lunch and perhaps even a light dinner. I just love it, and it's definitely a recipe worth sharing...

Makes 2 servings

2 large eggs
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 chile, deseeded, chopped finely
4 slices of bacon
2 crumpets
maple syrup

Whisk eggs, salt, pepper, and chili. Push crumpets into eggs. Make sure to coat both sides of the crumpets several times, then let them soak in eggs.

Meanwhile fry bacon on medium heat. When done, drain on paper towel.

Drain most of bacon fat from pan. Leave 1T. Add crumpets to pan. Fry for a few minutes on each side until golden.

Drizzle crumpets and bacon with maple syrup. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment