Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Cooking: Day 1

I don't mind holiday cooking. Not one bit.

Maybe it's because I'm a young cook.

Or maybe it's because I simply like making people happy with food.

Or maybe I like the challenge of trying to use all local ingredients in the foods I make.

Or maybe I'm just plain crazy.

For whatever reason, I'm just glad I like it because it helps lift the burden for those who don't like holiday cooking.

Today I started with applesauce to accompany our ham. I tried a homemade unsweetened applesauce recipe that I'm quite happy with. It's from the Apple Cookbook by Olwen Woodier. I used Golden Russets from our local farmer, Homestead Gardens.

I'm quite happy with how the applesauce turned out. It's savory and smooth with a lot of flavor. I'm hoping that making it earlier and letting it sit will only enhance the flavor.

Ingredients:
10 medium apples (any kind except Red Delicious or summer-harvested apples)
1 T water
1 t ground nutmeg
2 T local honey
zest of lime (sadly not local)
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t curry powder

Method:

Core and quarter apples. (You can leave the skins on if you are using a food processor to blend the sauce.) Place in a large saucepan with water and the nutmeg.

Cover the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the apples are tender. Puree in a food processor to the desired consistency. Stir in honey, lime zest, ginger and curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment