Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dinner: Black Bean Chilaquile


The Black Bean Chilaquile is probably my favorite Moosewood Recipe ever. It's perfect when you want something healthy, light, and filling. It's consistently awesome every time I make it, and it's my fall-back recipe when I cook for my vegetarian friends, who always praise it.

Tonight I reached for this recipe because I wanted something light to eat on the eve of our Revolver 7 course New Year's Eve meal. And I wanted something that was easy because cooking with a migraine isn't fun. (I know there are foods that cause migraines but are there foods that cure migraines?)

Here's the recipe with of my additions:

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped onion
1 T olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
1 1/2 fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 can black beans (15 oz, drained)
2 T fresh lime juice
1 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of cumin
dash of chili pepper
couple drops of hot sauce (Cholula is our fav)
2 cups chopped Swiss chard, spinach, or kale
2 cups tortilla chips, crushed
8 oz shredded sharp cheddar
2 cups salsa

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Saute onion until translucent, 8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, corn, black beans, lime, salt, pepper, and spices and continue to cook until heated through, about 5 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute greens for 1-3 minutes.

Prepare an 8X8 casserole dish or baking pan with light coating of oil. Spread half of the crushed tortilla chips on the bottom. Spoon the sauteed veggies over the chips and sprinkle with about 2/3 of the grated cheese. Arrange greens over the cheese and spoon half of the salsa. Finish with the rest of the tortilla chips and top with the remaining salsa and cheese. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.

Note: This recipe is always better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment