Sunday, December 13, 2009

Dinner: Cider Braised Pork Shoulder with Mashed Taters and Flash Fried Kale

Rachel Zucker shared this recipe for Cider Braised Pork Shoulder when she visited BG this past fall.

I tried it once before, and it was tasty but--believe it or not--I over-braised the meat. I didn't check on it enough, and just let it cook for 3 hours. I should have taken it out at 2 1/4 hours. (Hence, why I never blogged about it, even though I should have.) Cook and learn, which I did.

This time was a different story. The caramelized onions were perfect. There was a bunch of juice at the end of the braising time, which made a fantastic sauce. (Add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup more cider than is called for.) I mashed the potatoes just right using my stand mixer rather than a ricer, and the kale just made the meal even more earthy.

Not to brag, but I kinda out-did myself tonight.

And there is enough meat for sandwiches and other concoctions all week long. God bless leftovers.

This is definitely how I'll cook pork shoulder and butt in the future. Thanks for sharing, Rachel!

No comments:

Post a Comment