Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Holiday Cooking: Day 2, Part 3

The last part of my holiday cooking is a salad.

It's in pieces right now, but I promise to take a pic of the final results.

I got the recipe from Bon Appetit's Dec. 2009 issue.

I picked up walnuts instead of hazelnuts, so we'll see how it goes.

Escarole and Butter Lettuce Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Walnuts

Dressing Ingredients:
1/4 Champagne dressing
1/4 c OJ
1 1/2 t fresh lemon juice
1 t fresh lime juice
1 t grated lemon peel
1 t grated lime peel
1 t grated orange peel
1/2 c olive oil

Directions:
Combine vinegar and next 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Salad Ingredients:
1 large head of escarole, coarsely torn
1 large head of butter lettuce, coarsely torn
1 Golden Russet apple, quartered, cored, thinly sliced
1 c fresh pomegranate seeds
2/3 c walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped

Salad Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat.

--I think this salad is going to be an easy one to travel with. I have the dressing done, the lettuce washed and spun-dried, the pom seeds separated and cleaned in their own little bowl, and walnuts all done in their bowl. I'll slice the apple and tear the lettuce at my family's right before we eat. Easy enough to do while the Crack Potatoes are baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment