Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Cooking: Truffles Part 1

I'm not much of a baker, so I thought I'd give truffles a whirl.

I found two recipes: one in the Best of Weight Watchers Magazine cookbook and one in Everyday Food.

I wanted to test them both because they have the same calorie count (55) per truffle. Many people don't worry about calories during the holiday season, but several of my family members are trying to lose weight and others have diabetes. I wanted to make a little something they could enjoy too.

I love the taste of the truffle, but I used too much cocoa powder to roll them in. If you don't eat the Weight Watcher truffle all in one bite, you first taste the bitter from the cocoa, which is a little off putting. Next time I think I'll only roll them in edible glitter. Roll and learn, right?

Ingredients:
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 oz cream cheese
1/4 t champagne extract (or any extract you like)
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 T unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions:

Microwave chocolate chips in a medium bowl on High until nearly melted. Stir until smooth. Let cool.

Add cream cheese and extract; with electric mixer on medium speed, beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and continue beating until smooth and thick. Shape mixture into a thin 12-inch log. Wrap well in plastic, and refrigerate until chilled through, at least 30 minutes.

Spread cocoa onto a sheet of wax paper. Slice the log into 24 pieces and roll each into a 3/4 inch ball. Roll balls in cocoa (or other topping) to evenly coat.

Storage: keep in an airtight container for a week or up to a month in the freezer.

Stay tuned for Part 2: The Everyday Food truffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment